Peace of mind

🔺Enjoying a serene moment under the sky of Montana

Ever since I bought this shiny black device that has unanimously been associated with trendiness, an iPhone, my life has forever altered. The need to always stay connected and the fear of missing out are maximized to the extreme.  I check my email in coffee shops and restaurants, read news articles at stoplights, scroll down my FB or IG while waiting for the elevator, listen to podcasts while driving, shopping, and even sleeping, and yes every time in the bathroom it is there.   

🔺A serendipitous discovery 

Tap, tap, click, click, scroll, scroll, Malcolm Gladwell, Robert Caro, Conan, O’Brien, Anthony Doerr, New York Times, BBC, information, information, impulses, impulses,... instead of hoarding physical objects,I’m hoarding unread news articles, unheard podcasts, unvisited websites on my massive iCloud, a gargantuan landfill full of possible traveling sites, obsolete tips on parenting, recipes waiting to be tried, essays waiting to be read, dreams to better myself as a person, a teacher, and a mom, a landfill burying not-yet-realized hopes, plans, ambitions. This urgency not to miss out manifests itself over this constant need to stay connected and the invisible storage place somewhere in the clouds.     


🔺View from heavens

So maybe by booking the two weeks of my vacation in an Internet-free zone
,I subconsciously wanted to detox my mind and soul. Maybe I am finally fed up with bombarding myself with all the information. 

Maybe I am ready to just sit, yet be content to remain where I am. 
Maybe I’m ready to regurgitate, rather than trying to gorge in more new novel experiences. Maybe I finally understand paradise is just an attitude, not a destination.

留言

熱門文章